Are you looking for an even skin tone, a blemish-free face, desiring to remove those wrinkles and fine lines that are making you look dull? Microdermabrasion is a painless, non-surgical, and less risky solution. In addition, it will exfoliate the surface of your skin, making it firmer and youthful.
Microdermabrasion serves a range of purposes—from reducing age spots to fading acne scars, shrinking your enlarged pores, and rejuvenating your appearance. However, it has its shortcomings.
Microdermabrasion has side effects that you need to be aware of as you consider the treatment. You can start by exploring the benefits then learn some of the side effects. But first, learn about the pre and post instructions of microdermabrasion.
- Before the treatment, stay away from tanning creams or sun tanning for not less than a week.
- Cleanse your face with a non-oily cleanser before each appointment.
- If you have recently undergone chemical peel procedures or collagen injections, do not go for microdermabrasion treatment until three weeks elapse.
- You should not be using Accutane or having gone through laser surgery recently.
- Use a moisturizer to help you minimize the peeling effect in some of the treated areas.
- After 24-48 hours of treatment, avoid using topical acne medications.
- Avoid scratching the treated areas.
- Stay away from sunlight. Apply sunscreen if you expose yourself to the sun to avoid damage.
- Maintain cleanliness of your skin using a gentle cleanser and keep it moisturized.
Uses of Microdermabrasion
- Renew your appearance by exfoliating your skin
- Treat acne and the scars they form
- Remove wrinkles and fine lines
- Minimize the appearance of stretch marks
- Improve hyperpigmentation
Microdermabrasion procedures differ depending on the kind of device used. It can be done using a diamond-tip handpiece, crystal microdermabrasion, and hydradermabrasion.
Benefits Of Using Microdermabrasion
- Removes Wrinkles and fine lines. Wrinkles and fine lines that form on your face could be due to natural aging, sun damage, stress, or photoaging. As you age, there is less production of collagen and elastin, which is responsible for the elasticity of your skin. Microdermabrasion stimulates the production of collagen that fills the fine lines on your face and removes wrinkles.
- It makes your skin firm and tight. The skin around some features of your face like eyes, chin, cheeks, and jaws becomes loose during aging. Microdermabrasion stimulates collagen and elastin fibers’ growth, lifting the sagging skin, making it tighter and firmer.
- It makes your skin smoother. As part of your microdermabrasion treatment, the outer layer of your skin is slough off by spraying tiny crystals on the skin of your face. This process clears acne, wrinkles, and fine lines, scars and keeps your skin aloft. As a result, your skin retains a smooth and young look.
- It makes your scars fade away. When acne invades your face, it not only robs you of the beauty of a smooth skin tone but also lowers your self-esteem. Research done in 2001 affirms that microdermabrasion can heal acne scars depending on the cause. After treatment, acne may leave scars on your face. Microdermabrasion makes the scars less visible. However, it cannot erase them if they are deep.
- It gives your skin a brighter tone and brighter skin color. Nothing looks as good as a radiant smile complementing a beaming face. Unfortunately, wrinkles, fine lines, scars, acne all make your face look tired and dull. Microdermabrasion removes the outer layer of your skin, consisting of dead cells, making your skin look bright.
- Rejuvenates your appearance. Beauty does not fade, but aging affects how you look. Microdermabrasion gives you a new, uneven skin tone, shrinks your enlarged pores, and gets you a natural glow through exfoliation. This look is what makes your appearance rejuvenated.
- Reduces aging spots. Aging creates discoloration on your skin. Thus you could have great skin without the best tone balance. If so, microdermabrasion is all you need. By removing the dead skin cells on your epidermis, it clears away some of the discolorations. Additionally, by stimulating the production of collagen, hyaluronic acid, and elastin, this combination works together for a more even skin tone.
- Shrinks your pores. Enlarged pores could be genetic or a result of aging. Sun damage could also enlarge your pores. The rubbing of fine crystals against your skin during treatment removes the upper skin layer, making it smooth. Also, your enlarged pores reduce in size and become less visible.
- Fit for all skin types. Microdermabrasion is safe for you whether you have sensitive skin, are prone to allergic reactions, or have other skin issues. The crystals used for exfoliation are so fine that they cannot damage your skin. In addition, since the procedure is painless and non-surgical, no anesthesia is needed. Therefore, you do not need to worry about scars and infections.
- It’s non-surgical. The microdermabrasion treatment is quite simple. Using a handpiece that gently rubs your skin, fine crystals remove the dead skin on the epidermis. No surgery is needed like other cosmetic procedures.
- Pain-free. It is incredible how microdermabrasion can give you outstanding results but remains painless. You may experience slight abrasions that feel like sand coupled with suction, but that is all you will feel.
- No downtime. You do not have to wait ages to recover after microdermabrasion treatment. You can go about your daily routine immediately after treatment. A slight redness that might incur after treatment fades away on its own.
Some of the side effects include:
- Skin sensitivity
- Tightening of the skin
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- Bleeding spots
- Skin abrasions
- Dry or flaking skin
- Sun irritation
In conclusion, you can bank on microdermabrasion for smooth, acne-free skin, a brighter face with no age spots. By increasing the release of collagen and elastin, the results are a tighter and even skin tone. The process is painless and convenient. You will be done in just thirty minutes. However, it would be best if you took note of the side effects. Make a consultation to be sure the treatment is good for you.